Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pitchfork Music Festival: I won't be there, but check these out for me

For the first time since the festival started in 2006 (and 2005, when it was still called the Intonation Music Festival), I have attended the Pitchfork Music Festival. This year, I will be missing it for the first time.

While this hasn't broken my heart, there were still a few bands I wanted to see. Let me know how it goes.

-Tortoise-This is a band I think would be great live...if I paid attention. These guys were at the first Pitchfork festival (then called Intonation), and while I enjoyed what I saw of their set, I stood in line for most of it, waiting for an autograph from Sebastien Grainger of Death from Above 1979.

Regardless, I have enjoyed every release of theirs, including their new one, Beacons of Ancestorship. I wish I could be there, but alas, I'll catch them some other time (Friday at 5).

-Yo La Tengo - I saw these guys at the Pygmalion Music Festival in Champaign-Urbana last fall, and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. That band makes quite a noise for such a trio, and with their set being hand-picked by fans, it should be pretty awesome (Friday at 6:10).

-The Jesus Lizard-I think enough has been said about this band reuniting and how powerful of a live act they are. I don't think I need to go into any more detail (Friday at 7:20).

-Fucked Up-This band should be what Les Savy Fav was to the festival in 2005 and 2008 (Saturday at 2:30).

-Ponytail-This band exudes happiness. Their 2008 album Ice Cream Spiritual, while nearly wordless, is a blast of sunshine and dance-y goodness. Here's to hoping it's just as good live (Saturday at 4:30).

-Black Lips-I've heard horror stories about this band's power onstage. I would expect nothing less (Saturday at 8:30)

-Blitzen Trapper-These folkies have been on my radar since 2007's Wild Mountain Nation. I want to see them live, and see if that intimacy/craziness can translate live. They are hippies, but hopefully they can forget that onstage.

-M83-The first album of theirs I really got into was 2003's Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts, and then I kind of forgot about them. I saw them at 2005's Lollapalooza, but ended up falling asleep (it was hot out that day). Again, I wonder how good they really are live, especially if I paid attention. I liked last year's Saturdays = Youth, so if they have a great light show to go along with the ambient music, it should be awesome (Sunday at 6:15).

No comments:

Post a Comment